With occasional reflection on the perpetual absurdity/intrigue of life and society in general.

Monday, November 22, 2010

Vincent Gallo - Relevant Quotes/ Recent News/ Featured Artist


"I don't trust or love anyone. Because people are so creepy. Creepy creepy creeps. Creeping around. Creeping here and creeping there. Creeping everywhere. Crippity crappity creepies." - Vincent Gallo

"I`m not an artist, I`m a hustler. As a hustler I`ve done many things. You should really believe it when I tell you that, `cause I`m not being sarcastic. I`m a total hustler. What that means is I`ve hustled to make a buck and I`ve hustled to change the world and I`ve hustled to take revenge - but it`s always hustling. I`ve never had a career or a single goal. I`ve never been formally educated. To get things together, to make a living, I constantly have to hustle."

"The good thing about bicycling is that, since I`m a public figure, I don`t have to interact with people. If I walk from here to West Broadway, 50 people will stop me. On my bike, I can just wave. More public figures should ride bikes. It`s a good way to deal with people."

"I`m the happiest the saddest guy in the world can be."

"I never wanted to be an actor. I never want to be an actor. I want to be a movie star. The whole idea of having to act is too gruesome. It`s too ambitious for me."

"I stopped painting in 1990 at the peak of my success just to deny people my beautiful paintings. And I did it out of spite."
- Vincent Gallo

Outside of being one of the more interesting characters to emerge from the bohemian sublayers of 70's/80's NY scene, and that is saying quite a bit in itself, he has managed to become one of the true renaissance men of underground/indy pop culture - an intriguing existence indeed, good and bad. He had a shared musical project with Jean Michel Basquiat and was part of Warhols inner circle - what else need be said. On the other side, arguably aware or not, he has become renowned for comments that express less than scrupulous social perspectives, often provoking criticism for the seemingly tactless ignorance and anarchist flare. He has also left a bold signature on the world of cinema as a filmmaker and an actor, undeniably, regardless of a somewhat contentious and often incredulous reception (aka. Brown Bunny). However, let us not forget Buffalo '66, one of my favorite cinematic love stories of all time. He has been accused of being a provocateur (well, he has been accused of a lot less flattering things, and always manages to ignite it into fuel). I would argue that, IF this is a valid accusation, it is rooted in a basic artistic premise that is honest and intrinsic to Gallo's life experience - hence justified - as if he needs any F'n justification!

Gallo was recently awarded the Coppa Volpi for Best Actor at the 67th Venice Film Festival, for his performance in Jerzy Skolimowski's film, Essential Killing.

He also has a new film, written and directed by, as well as acted in, Promises Written in Water, that debuted at Venice and Toronto. Admittedly, I have not read much on it, but am intrigued by the concept and, of course, Gallo as an auteur.

Below is a link to Gallo's Official Website and i highly encourage that you explore his work, and perhaps his character, further. Other links of related interest follow as well. Regardless of critical dispute and public discrepancies (who cares anyway), his work captures the originality of HIS reality - and what else can we ask? This is intended as neither a statement of consent or condemnation (i know him by his work alone, and barely credible press), but merely a recognition of intrigue and originality in his work and life.

Links:
Official Website for Vincent Gallo by Vincent Gallo: vincentgallo.com
The Warhol: www.warhol.org
Basquiat: basquiat.com

No comments: