With occasional reflection on the perpetual absurdity/intrigue of life and society in general.

Tuesday, March 16, 2010

News from Cannes - Tim Burton, President of the Jury of the 63rd Festival de Cannes




American film director Tim Burton is to be Jury President for the 63rd Festival de Cannes, which takes place from May 12th to 23rd 2010. Upon accepting the invitation from Gilles Jacob and Thierry Frémaux, Tim Burton declared: "After spending my early life watching triple features and 48-hour horror movie marathons, I’m finally ready for this. It’s a great honour and I look forward, with my fellow jurors, to watching some great films from around the world. When you think of Cannes you think of world cinema. And as films have always been like dreams to me, this is a dream come true."


I'm a little late to the game, as the official press release was in late January. However, I found it to be an interesting selection, and it made me smile a bit.
I wonder if the Cannes selection committee had screened Alice in Wonderland yet? Yes, that was a cheap shot. No more comments on Alice beyond this - It made me quite sad due to overall disappointment (particularly, aspects of the storytelling were flat and underdeveloped), but the root of the sadness was the lost cinematic opportunity. Refer to Bressonian Quote #2. With that being said, the high level of disappointment would not have been possible without an endearing respect for Burton and his body of work. His filmography and the general honesty of his vision afford him quite a bit of forgiveness. There is a quality retrospective of his work on the Festival de Cannes home page.

An early Tim Burton film for your viewing pleasure.

No comments: