With occasional reflection on the perpetual absurdity/intrigue of life and society in general.

Monday, February 7, 2022

150 Films/150 Days #01: The First 5 Films


To open the new year, I began this series, 150 Films/150 Days, as a means of returning to my screening habits of old. Click the link to read the Series Introduction.  The general idea is to return to my film school roots of obsessively watching all the films from all the places all the time.  

The Comprised List is over 150 films deep with integral films missed from the past 10 years and beyond, as well as a few just for popcorn giggles.

I'll be making regular posts of 5-10 films at a time, including my screening notes, random and unedited.  Each film will be listed with the release date, relevant creative contributors, the means of screening, and a written response.

After the screening, I will assign a level of recommendation to each film as follows: 
HR-highly recommended, R-recommended, N-neutral, F-failings too extensive to appreciate (hopefully never or rare).
The first film watched was February 1, and the final day will be June 30 (exactly 5 months).  
All are welcome to watch along.


The First 5 Films:  

1.  The Master (2012):  Watched on Hulu, 02/01.  Directed by PT Anderson, Performances by Phillip Seymour Hoffman and Joaquin Phoenix.
 
Screening Notes - Scratch notes from pen to paper to you, no edits:  
PT Anderson with this cast - I mean, what else need be said.  Epic fantastic filmmaking.  Soundtrack insane and necessary storytelling element.  Much to consider and discuss.  Obviously the parallels with scientology cult-like nonsense is of interest, but more intrigued in exploring Freddy and his arch (written 30 mins in).
Oh wow, that was jus a lovely twisted spectacular ending.  Pulled the whole damn brilliant thing together.  Wow, just wicked good.  Laughing aloud after the final shot for all the right reasons.
Recommendation Level:  HR


2.  The Matrix Resurrections (2021):   Watched on HB0 - simultaneous theatrical release, 02/02. Directed by Lana Wachowski, Performances by Keanu Reeves and Carrie-Anne Moss.
 
Screening Notes:  Well, that wasn't very good, ha.  A bit disappointed.  I think I went in with higher expectations than realized.  Not sure why, as the original is the only one I feel any connection to.  I did appreciate and find humor in the meta narrating self-parody aspect.   
Recommendation Level:  N

3.  Licorice Pizza (2021):  Watched at Alamo Drafthouse, 02/03.  Directed by PT Anderson, with an eclectic cast of choice. 

Screening Notes:  PT Anderson at age 16 taking us on a joy ride thru the Valley.  How could it not be quirky as hell and fun?  And it was.  Loosely autobio inspired coming of age story, sorta.  Can't quite process my full impression of the film that a friend described as "masturbation of character development" on the screen.  I would add of set-pieces and antics strung together by a thin narrative, and that was just fine.  PT is one of those filmmakers that has reached a level in which he can break some rules magnificently, because he's just that damn good.  Not quite what I expected, but PT candy for the eye and just so fun.  
Stylistic and filmmaking decisions intriguing as always.  This may be a slow-burn.  I'm not sure what I just saw - I say with a giant grin.   
Recommendation Level:  HR

4.  Don't Look Up (2021):   Watched on Netflix, 02/04.  Directed by Adam McCay, Performances by Leonardo DiCaprio, Jennifer Lawrence, Meryl Streep. 

Screening Notes:  Wow, that was horrifyingly on point!  And clever as hell.  Like Idiocracy - on the nose and it hurts, but this one knew how close it was.  For our times specific.  Communal temporal expression - Reflections of 50's monster movies and Dr Strangelove.
Recommendation Level:  HR

5.  The Thing (1982):  Watched on Blu-ray Disc, 02/06.  Directed by John Carpenter, Performances by Kurt Russel and Wilford Brimley. 

Screening Notes:  My first John Carpenter film - that's right.  With consideration of my sometimes disconnect with the cinematic language of this lineage of horror, I really liked it.  More to say at a later date.  Some damn interesting and unique filmmaking and shot decisions that I think I really like. Carpenter has my attention.
Recommendation Level:  R

No comments: